Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Red Pyramid

This is a review of the audio book.

Author: Rick Riordan

Reader: Kevin R. Free and Katherine Kellgren

Producer: Brilliance Audio

Production Year: 2010

Most of the listeners will be: 5th through 8th grade boys and girls.

Listener's Advisory: For another great series opener about children helping to battle the forces of evil, listen to Over Sea and Under Stone by Susan Cooper. 

Summary: After their mother's death six years ago Carter and Sadie Kane were separated. Carter travels around with their father, a respected Egyptologist, and Sadie lives with their grandparents in England. They only see each other two days a year. Carter and his father arrive in England for their scheduled Christmas Eve visitation with Sadie and they are all admitted to the British Museum after hours. After Mr. Kane has his children lock the curator in his office, he uses the Rosetta Stone to attempt to summon one of the Egyptian gods. The firey man Sadie and Carter see imprison their father in a golden sarcophagus laughs that he tried to summon one, but got five. Which gods have been unleashed? What has happened to Carter and Sadie's father? And what will they do now?

My favorite passage:
Sadie's cat Muffin is really the goddess Bast and she is charged with protecting them. Not long after Muffin changes in to Bast the three of them are running through the streets of New York together when she pauses to demolish a large wrecking ball with her knives. Carter asks if the ball was really a threat, to which she replies "You never know." It is strongly implied that even a cat goddess can't resist playing with a ball. 

What I really think:
Even though I enjoyed The Lightening Thief, the only other of Riordan's books I've read, I didn't go into The Red Pyramid with the highest of expectations. I mean, the man publishes so many books. Can they all really be that good? And I'm into Greek and Roman mythology. Egyptian? Meh. And I actually only read it because one of my book clubs chose it. However, I immediately fell in love with this book to the point of mild obsession (I do also get more attached to audio books than print, I have found).

There is a lot going on - so many characters, settings, things to accomplish before Set takes over the world. But it is such a pleasure to read (or listen to) that I went right along with Carter and Sadie, only thinking later of how far we had come. All the characters (gods and mortals) are so well developed that even those that have a small part are rich and memorable. I mean Toth in Memphis, Tennessee? I really hope there is more of him later in the series!

The readers both did an excellent job. I was especially impressed that they coordinated the way they did voices for other characters - and each other! It must have been a difficult undertaking and having two narrators could have been jarring for the listener, but they worked together beautifully. 

Cursing the fact that my library doesn't have book 2 on CD. I need more Kanes and I really need to hear them. 


No comments: